Dual Citizenship FAQs
What are the eligibility requirements for Oversees Citizen of India or OCI?
- who was eligible to become a citizen of India on 01/26/1950, or
- who was a citizen of India on or at any time after 01/26/1950, or
- who belonged to a territory that became part of India after 08/15/1947
What are the benefits of OCI?
- A multiple entry, multi-purpose life-long visa for visiting India.
- Exemption from registration with local police authority for any length of stay in India.
- Parity with Non-resident Indians (NRIs) in respect of economic, financial and educational fields, except in relation to acquisition of agricultural or plantation properties.
- OCI can be used as identity proof for application of PAN Card and driving license as well as for opening a bank account if the OCI card holder is residing in India.
What benefits an OCI Card holder is not entitled to?
- to vote,
- to be a member of a Legislative Assembly or of a Legislative Council or of the Parliament of India,
- to hold Indian constitutional posts such as that of the President, Vice President, Judge of the Supreme Court or High Court etc.
- he/she usually cannot hold employment in the Government sector.
Under what conditions should one apply for New OCI Card and Sticker?
- In case of issuance of new passport.
- For an applicant who is 20 years of age or younger, OCI documents must be re-issued each time a new passport is issued.
- For an applicant who is 50 years of age or older, OCI documents must be re-issued once after the issuance of a new passport.
- For an applicant who is 21 to 49 years of age, there is no need to re-issue OCI documents each time a new passport is issued. However, if the applicant desires, he/she can request that the OCI document be re-issued so that the OCI document reflects his/her latest passport number.
- In case there is a change in personal particulars.
- In case of loss/damage of passport and/or OCI booklet.
- For correcting personal particulars entered wrongly while submitting online applications e.g. name, father’s name, date of birth etc.,
- In case of change of address/occupation.
Can foreign nationals, who are not otherwise eligible for OCI, get OCI if they are married to persons who are eligible for OCI?
Are Minor children eligible for OCI Card?
Is an applicant who had held nationality of Pakistan or Bangladesh, eligible for OCI?
Can a person renounce OCI?